Chicken Schnitzel with pumpkin seed coating
Corn Salad with Pumpkin Seed Oil
Even I cannot avoid certain clichés when asked what „Home/Heimat“ means to me. Besides being convinced that everyone carries several „homes“ inside oneself, when I think of Austria I see mountains, lakes, nature – and schnitzel.
It`s true, Austrian cuisine is more than just breading. If it comes down to the public image of Austria, the Schnitzel is in the lead and even made it into the English language.
Clichés are part of Austria too – even though in everyday life they don`t live up to the Sound of Music Dreamland. Austria should no longer hide or get lost political mazes. Austria actually has everything one needs for a good life. The elements are there, they just need to be used in the right way and put into a new order. Away with the blinders, make big steps! Bet on hybridity and enjoy change. You won`t lose your „Home/Heimat“.
Ingredients for 2
2 organic Chicken Breasts
6 large Potatoes
1 tbsp. dried black currants (optional)
2 hands full of Corn Salad
Pumpkin Seed Oil
4 tbsp. Pumpkin Seeds
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into triangular shapes and bake them in the oven at 200°C for approx. half an hour until they are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- In the meantime wash the chicken breasts and cut them into squares.
- Wash the corn salad.
- Prepare a „coating road“: 1 plate with flour, 1 plate with raw whisked egg and salt, and 1 plate with a mixture of breadcrumbs and finely chopped pumpkin seeds.
- Dip the schnitzels first in the flour, then in the egg and finally toss them in the breadcrumb pumpkinseed mixture.
- Fry them at low temperature in rapeseed oil until golden brown.
- Marinate the salad with pumpkin seed oil, raspberry vinegar, salt, pepper and pumpkin seeds.
- Now you can prepare the plates: Paint a morning sky with the lingonberry jam, place the mountain fries (the triangular potatoes) on top. Arrange the square shaped schnitzel underneath and finalise with dabs of corn salad woods.